Setting-up the webservice wasn’t easy. It took me a good number of hours figuring out how this thing will land on a user home directory. Simply following a concept of having a separate HTTP server specifically for the desktop can provide a good separation, a layer between other HTTP programs was in order.
A new directory was created to house the webservice server, located at ~/webservice. The test webservice program finally ran in the late afternoon. One problem I did encounter was correctly setting-up an Ubuntu launcher icon capable of launching the server. I tried many times without success, though the server went up without any problems when started from inside a shell.
That’s only one piece of puzzle already in-place. The remaining pieces are still out there in the wild. But they will be added later, time permitting.
Basically, here is what I’m after.
- A desktop webservice – provide a set of services covering the desktop.
- An Entity-like client – code resides behind a URL, delivered via HTTP, then instantiated by a browser-like program, similar to Entity.